Sunday, August 9, 2009

etherpad 9/8/09

After some difficulty and confusion in gaining access to etherpad, I was finally able to log in and communicate with Dale. This was very easy to use and I liked the colour coding to show who was speaking. I can see this would be useful if using as a group. I missed the message about the group chat, but I'm glad I finally got to chat with someone. Thanks Dale.

This is just a copy of the POD chat between myself and Dale of the Blue group which took place on 9/08/2009 9:02 PM

Welcome to EtherPad!

This pad text is synchronized as you type, so that everyone viewing this page sees the same text. This allows you to collaborate seamlessly on documents!

Hoping to see someone typing in here oneday, :).

Dake,

Hi, just trying things out as this is first time I've been able to log in. YEAH! Thanks for setting things up Dale.

Sarah

That's alright, we are a team, and congratulations. It has been a process, hasn't it.
Dale.

It certainly has! Sarah

I have worked out that we shouldn't have to pay money for this if we access it the way you just did, cause you didn't use an account of any description; therefore, my account is the only one in operation. Which brings to mind the thought of using this in my classes if the DET allows it.

What grade do you teach? I don't know what privacy issues there would be for using this in schools. My grade 5/6s currently use a site called Superclubs which is designed for student use and has mediators online to supervise and ensure appropriate content.

7 - 12 Classes. Does Superclubs cost much, if any?

I don't know. The Principal organised subscription for whole school (60 kids). I'll see if I can find out. The kids can chat with kids from our school and others as well as send emails and use forums. It's pretty good, they have challenges to earn stars where they have to complete tasks about privacy and appropriate use of online technologies.
Sounds pretty good. I am certainly going to setup a BLOG, cause I know the edublogs works in our school and it certainly works for kids to complete listed activities, such as web links, etc.

We don't have anything like that yet. I think the Vic gov is working on an Unltranet but don't know when that will be available. I just checked Superclubs site. It seems the Vic gov has prodived grant for free access to Vic schools. Its for 6-12 year olds so may not suit high school. http://www.superclubsplus.com.au/ Here is web address if interested.

Thanks Sarah, I will look into it.
No worries. I guess thats what this journey is all about. I'd better sign off now so I can get ready for tomorrow. I can see this is going to be a great procrastinater!!!
Yes, I think so. Also, some time tonight I will save this chat and put it up on my blog, cause they are all learning activities. You can copy it from there after that for you blog.

Hehe, happy travelling through the cyber and good luck to us all.

Here here! Nite. Yeah, night.

No comments:

Post a Comment